Friday, February 10, 2012

5 years later . . .

When Jackson (our 5 year old) was an infant, I saw somewhere the cutest idea of melting broken crayons into heart shapes for Valentines. I bought the molds way back then, but we had no classmates to make valentines for until last year. We tried to make them last year, but we used cheap Dollar store crayons so they did not color well. Also, I guess my mold was not 100% silicone - be sure to use a mold made for baking in - I had to throw mine away after we were done.


This year we made them with our broken Crayola's, and they turned out much better (except the colors since we only used broken crayons). Jackson also wanted to give his classmates the Star Wars valentines that he picked out, so I suggested we make little envelopes to put them in and stick the heart crayon on the outside of the envelope.


I read a couple of blogs that suggested using double sided sticky foam squares to stick the crayons on the paper, but the crayons were too waxy - it was a waste of $4. I ended up using a hot glue gun - it melted the back of the crayon heart just enough that it bonded to the hot glue & the paper.


We used Star Wars stickers on the back to seal the little envelopes - I think they turned out pretty cute.

No comments: